Tuesday, March 4, 2008

TRUE COLORS

I have a Myspace friend named Ryan. We never actually met, but we have mutual friends. He's even virtually hit on me a few times. Ryan is a a white guy. He posted a very hateful, ignorant Internet chain message about Barack Obama. It was full of lies about how Obama is an evil Muslim out to destroy America. It even dared quote the Bible to validate the hateful tirade. For the record, I quickly posted a rebuttal to the ignorant post.

I was disgusted by the message, yet thankful at the same time. I'm thankful Ryan showed me his true xenophobic and prejudiced nature. I wish I could shine a bright light on all the undercover bigots and watch them scurry around like roaches. I like bigotry out in the open so I know where I stand and when it's time for me to go to battle.

Have you ever had someone forget who you were and show their bigoted ass in your presence? Were you grateful for the experience afterward?

3 comments:

CC Solomon said...

I had a biracial friend who apparently "passed" (although she looked mixed to me, no denying that hair of hers). Anywho in college (we went to an unracially sensitive school) she would encounter many a time where people made racist remarks around her because they thought she was "one of them". The few times it happened (and some other things) bugged her so much that she switched schools. Got me paranoid about who was my "friend" in public and my "enemy" behind my back. Like the sterotype goes, at least in the south you can see your racism.

Clever Elsie said...

I'm really glad you set him straight about Obama. I'm so tired of bigots seizing on his middle name and pandering to the fears of the most closed-minded Americans.

I'm half Jewish, and I've heard so many Jew jokes in my presence, I don't have enough fingers to count them. I can laugh at myself and don't mind that much if it's just poking fun at a stereotype, but when it gets vicious and/or personal, I have a real problem with it. For instance, a couple of people have made derogatory remarks along the lines of "oh, you pinch pennies because you're a Jew" or "don't nag like a Jew" and then followed it up with a "hah hah, just kidding" excuse. I'm not laughing, though.

bobbyboy said...

Bigotry and purposeful ignorance are two of my pet peeves. Like you, I would rather know a person is a bigot so I can pretend there is a plague under their feet.

I am Irish-Norwegian, but grew up with Puerto Ricans and raised by a Puerto Rican family. I can't tell you how many times I got my butt kicked because when I was around the non Puerto Ricans, I hear the slurs. I just had to step up and set the record strait.

Amazing how people will trash a guy like Obama (Incorrectly), but not a guy like Bush that has almost accomplished destroying his own government!