Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Valentines Day: The Takeover

It's that time again: Valentine's Day. It's tough being single on Valentine's Day. The world seems to be all happy and coupled up. There are obnoxiously ginormous balloons and flower bouquets everywhere but at your doorstep or office cubicle. That's tough. It's similar to the feeling when you are the last picked for the pick-up volleyball game in gym class, except 1000 times worse. It feels like you are the last picked in life. Ouch! There's an overwhelming sense of dread many people feel around this day.

Hallmark's version of Valentine's Day is an unattainable illusion for most people. It's a stressful day for lots of people in relationships, not just the singles. Men have all this pressure to buy the right gift and to make the right romantic gesture. Women have to pretend to like that awful gift her dunderheaded guy just gave her. "Oooh, uncomfortable lingerie that's too sizes too small and implies that you expect sexual favors. Just what I wanted!"

According to a recent story on CNN, 40 million Americans have what experts call a sexless marriage (having sex less than 10 times a year). DAMN! The next time you are depressed about being single, be grateful that you aren't in a sexless marriage. Just think 40 million married people would probably love to trade places with you. Single and a little lonely beats married, miserable and sexually frustrated!

I will embrace Valentine's Day, but only on my terms. I took the day off work. I'm going to spend the day as I please and top it off with a yummy red velvet cupcake. My Valentine's Day will be a day that I show myself how much I care about me instead of wishing I had someone else to show me a good time. Sometimes when you want something done right, you have to do it yourself!

I hope you can reclaim Valentine's Day as a time to lavish love on the most important person in your life - YOU!

Happy Valentine's Day!

4 comments:

Not Your Average Male said...

Thanks for saying what I'm always thinking. People take this thing WAY too seriously.

As Snoop Dogg would say... "CHUUCH!"

Anonymous said...

I looked at this holiday like this: who is to tell me when to be romantic?! I didn't really dig this holiday much even when I was dating. It's just too commercial. I still ended up having a blast with friends on that day. And I didn't go home and cry about it!!! Single women are stronger than that, as you know from personal experience! Though single can suck, we can truly embrace the independence we have.

bobbyboy said...

I think many times that societal pressures take away from certain holidays. You gave great examples of how someone does feel when they should feel special and loved.

I'm not big on valentines day myself. I much rather enjoy showing my love and devotion at regular intervals and usually by surprise. It just makes better sense to me then a one day appreciation holiday.

Clever Elsie said...

40 million Americans have what experts call a sexless marriage

That's unbelievable. I've never been so glad to be single. :)

My Valentine's Day will be a day that I show myself how much I care about me instead of wishing I had someone else to show me a good time.

AMEN to that! I hope that was the bestest cupcake ever! :D