Wednesday, January 16, 2008

the blogging life

I'm clearly having trouble adjusting to the blogging life. First of all it's not in my nature to rant and rave through a computer keyboard. I rant and rave using my big ole mouth. Ask anyone who has spent a reasonable amount of time with me. Something happens, I start running off at the mouth. My voice gets loud. I talk really fast. My arms fly around. Sometimes I revert to the black woman head roll. I even spit a little sometimes. *blush* I often go off on wild tangents way the hell of topic. And just when you think I'm done when I finally peter out. "And another thing...." I blurt out much later, arms flailing, when I have to remind my audience what I was talking about in the first place. So the point is, I'm not used to channeling all of that energy into a keyboard and a screen. Worst of all there's no immediate gratification of someone listening and laughing with and/or at me. To be honest, that's the best part.

Second, my life is really busy right now. I really should have started blogging last year when NOTHING was going on. I went to work and came home. I lived with roommates I tried to avoid so all I did was sit in my room on the computer and watching tv. Praise the LORD my life is different now. My social life has taken a total 180! I have to make sure I budget time to be at home. I have to hold back from being out so much that I take care of my responsibilities at home. One of those responsibilities is my commitment to my weight loss. I have to make sure that I take the time to cook healthy meals and get my workouts done. So when I am home, I'm either in the kitchen or on an exercise ball! I thank GOD for all of this. My life in 2005 & 2006 particularly was pretty sad. I was lonely all the time and turned to food out of boredom and depression.

Third, what the f*$% do I talk about? I'm used to bobbing & weaving from topic to topic. I cover everything from the presidential election to Project Runway (Kevin voted off? WTF!) to the decay of Baltimore city to my latest hairdo dilemma without stopping to take a breath. I guess the theme of my blog can be a random thoughts and non sequitirs. But I do feel kind of like these blogs are supposed to be more like essays than random fragments and tidbits.

Ultimately, I know this blog is only supposed to be what I want it to be. I just wish I could do an audio version. Maybe keep a mic on me at all times so when my raving brilliance bubbles to the surface I can document it right as genius reveals herself. And so the sarcasm and self deprecation in my voice is crystal clear. I'm sure I could audio blog, but I'm to damn busy to research that shit.

3 comments:

Erika 2004 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rashard said...

Audioblog = podcast. They're actually not that difficult to produce. The editing may be a bitch though.

Not Your Average Male said...

Another idea could be one of those handheld digital recorders. You could blurt out your ideas, listen to it later and squeeze out whatever you like into blog format like a sheet of cookie dough.

Maybe not like that, maybe not so practical -- but it sounds cool!