Monday, December 31, 2007

new year, new me

In 2007, I set out to change some major areas in my life. Luckily I never sat down and said, " Linnea, change your life." It started by finally making the commitment to lose weight. God bless the BBW's who are comfortable and confident in their bodies. I admire the ones that are plump and curvy and work it. My problem is, I was never one of them. I was never confident and comfortable as a size 24. (Yeah, I put it out there!) Being heavy just wasn't working for me. If it is not working for me, then it's time to change it. So I made a financial commitment, and a spiritual commitment to change my body. Since March 2007, I've lost 50 pounds. Being 50 pounds lighter has changed my life. I have new energy and confidence. What's most inspiring to me is that such a big change was the result of small decisions made hour by hour, day by day.
I also realized that my social life had pretty much become me, Project Runway and a bag of Doritos. Sometimes I would go a whole weekend and not speak to anyone. I'd just be alone in my apartment. My friends and I grow further apart. I'd also started feeling like the last single standing. (Ooh child, that's a whole other blog!) I stumbled upon some social meet up groups and joined them, albeit shyly and tentatively at first. It's important to me to meet cool girls to do cool single girl things and maybe gain a couple great girlfriends. So far, I'm meeting some really great people. I'm slowly becoming less of a hermit.

2008 more than any other year, I am due for my life to change significantly. I'm on track to reach my fitness goals. That will inevitably change my confidence which will cause my social life to continue to flourish. All of those hours watching HGTV must have changed my perspective. I have become my own improvement project! After I've finished the first renovation phase, I've earmarked my career as the next major area in my life to overhaul.

This final paragraph should wrap up my essay in a profound, philosophical way. I don't have time for that now. I gotta go work out.

Cheers to 2008!

5 comments:

Lady Dulayne said...

Wow, 50 pounds! Girl, that is great! And you look great.

I think you have some good goals and you're right, this will be a better year because you've set your mind on some attainable things.

And meeting cool new chicas is always fun!

Erika 2004 said...

Congrats on such a significant weight loss! I wish you continued success!

Like you, I am also trying to improve my social circle. Slowly, but surely.

I hope you have a fabulous '08!!

Erika 2004 said...

I was just looking at your tagline. "Recovering homebody". You literally took the words out of my mouth! I can't wait until the weather warms up. I definitely plan to get out more this year!

CC Solomon said...

I'm proud of you and what you've accomplished, losing weight is tremendously hard, from 5 pounds to 100! And I hear ya about the last single friend standing thing. Life is so not like Sex in the City, where you all are basically single or in relationships at the same time. But I'm glad you are getting out and any time you want to chill, you have my number girlie!

Not Your Average Male said...

Congratulations and good luck in 2008!